Retaining Youthfulness As You Age
There are a number of things in your life you can improve upon as you age that will keep you feeling and looking younger; check out the following helpful anti-aging tips.
1. Get your beauty sleep. A good eight hours every night will help your body fight off the elements that age you and keep your energy levels higher. Regulated sleep also means more regulated hormones, which keep your appetite from spiking and your moods from fluctuating.
2. Reduce your caloric intake. Unless you need to put weight on as indicated by your doctor, lowering the amount of calories you consume can add years to your life and improve the quality of them. Studies have made the connection between easing the workload off of the heart and other organs with improved health and internal muscular elasticity. This means your insides don’t have to work as much, which makes everything last longer and operate more efficiently for you.
3. Water is a true fountain of youth. Most of us don’t take the time or have the inclination to consume the recommended eight glasses a day, but if you try it, you’ll notice a major difference in your skin. It becomes plumper in your face and softer all over. Add lemon and other natural flavor enhancers if you don’t find plain water appealing.
4. Buy everything with sunscreen. Your moisturizers and foundations should all protect your skin from harmful UV rays, and the one-step convenience gets you away from the vanity much quicker. Look for sunscreen in lip-balms and even your hair care products.
5. Lose your love of tanning. Everyone loves the sun-kissed glow of a day spent at the beach, but it’s too damaging to your delicate skin. Tanning will result in early wrinkles and possibly lead to skin cancer, so enjoy the way you look naturally or try a bronzing agent.
6. If you smoke, quit now. Recent medical findings indicate that quitting before the age of about 40 can significantly reduce your chances of developing a number of deadly diseases associated with smoking. Since smoking also causes premature aging, you will start to see an immediate improvement in the condition of your skin as well.
7. Become a seafood lover. If you don’t already enjoy a lot of oily fish like salmon, herring and tuna, add it to your diet often. The essential oils nourish your skin, hair, prevent heart disease and even slow down cognitive decline.
8. Don’t be a victim of stress. The impact of stress on your body will actually accelerate the aging process, so find healthy ways of venting it. Make a point of relaxing every day, even if it’s only for a few minutes. Avoid taking work home with you every night or staying in toxic relationships; take time for yourself and the things you love.
9. Stay young at heart. Doctors know the many benefits of a healthy social life and being active. Keep in touch with friends, and take part in activities that you really enjoy. People really do need other people, and loneliness is one of the worst kinds of stress a human can endure.
10. Stay fit. Exercise keeps your blood flowing and muscles strong, both of which will add years to your life and looks. Exercise also vents stress and helps you sleep better! Combine socializing with exercise by working out regularly with a friend or in a dance class.
Aging is inevitable; however, you can slow the process down, feeling and looking as beautiful as ever!